We are thankful for many things—good things that we have, or nice things that happen to us, or happy things that we’ve done. Yes, we’re grateful for our many blessings. And, as Thanksgiving Day arrives, we will be reminded of how thankful we are for these blessings.
But there’s another perspective on being thankful. And this includes the things for which we can be thankful that did NOT happen, or that we do NOT have. It all depends on how we look at it.
Snoopy is getting dog food for his Thanksgiving Day dinner, and he is aware that everyone else in the family is inside having turkey. He meditates and talks to himself: “How about that? Everyone is eating turkey today, but just because I’m a dog I get dog food.”
He trots away and positions himself on top of his doghouse and concludes: “Of course, it could have been worse. I could have been born a turkey.” (“Peanuts”)
Snoopy was grateful in spite of the fact that he couldn’t have some Thanksgiving turkey, too. He was able to look at the bright side even though he was a disappointed dog. But this illustrates a positive way we can handle the times we feel hurt or let down in some way.
Here is a list of 25 things you can be thankful for which didn’t happen to you. You can be thankful that…
1. You were not born a gnat because people would always be swatting at you.
2. You are not an Oscar Mayer wiener because people would love you so much, they would want you for lunch, and that wouldn’t go down too well.
3. You’re not the temperature because you would always be up and down. And someone, somewhere would complain about you. (“Too hot,” “Too cold,” blah, blah, blah!)
4. You are not a skunk because you’d be making a big stink and no one would want you around.
5. Your nose does not grow an inch longer each time you tell a little white lie.
6. Your car doesn’t turn into a pumpkin if you get home too late.
7. You don’t have as many eyes as a nearsighted fly with double vision.
8. You are a match because people would be striking you and that would burn you up.
9. You are not someone’s appendix about to burst—a big pain who needs to be cut out.
10. You did not see your name in the obituary today.
11. Your ears don’t burn and you set off a smoke alarm when someone talks about you.
12. Your deepest secrets haven’t gone viral on the Internet yet.
13. You are not over 9 feet tall like some say Goliath was or you’d be bumping your head all the time and that’s just ONE problem!
14. You don’t turn into a pillar of salt like Lot’s wife just because you turned to look back.
15. You are not a penny for you would not make much cents and people would throw you away.
16. You are not a sidewalk because people would walk all over you all the time. Ouch!
17. You were not raised by apes or you’d make a monkey out of yourself.
18. You are not a snowman having a REAL meltdown.
19. You aren’t a hamster on a wheel going nowhere fast.
20. You are not a hurricane full of much wind and causing lots of damage.
21. You are not a worn out shoe—tongue hanging and not much sole.
22. You are not a bump on a log and getting bored.
23. Your toes do not actually curl when you drink a strong beverage.
24. You do not really hit the ceiling when you hear bad news.
25. You are not struck by a lightning bolt every time you say something wrong.
Yes, you CAN be thankful for some things that do not happen. When you start feeling down and out or, like Snoopy, just plain left out, remember this verse: “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus,” First Thessalonians 5:18. Give thanks! Things could always be worse!
Here’s an uplifting music video that reminds us to be “Grateful”: http://youtu.be/s7eVr-OUYkQ
And Good News to YOU!